Sunday, October 17, 2010

Machismo Reviews: WWF St. Valentine's Day Massacre





WWF: St. Valentine's Day Massacre. I remember this PPV well. It was the day before my birthday, and this was the first PPV I had ordered in quite a while. I remember being bored by my last PPV purchase, so this was one I was not expecting to like other then the Cage Match Main Event that would see Stone Cold Steve Austin take on Vince McMahon, with the WM Title Match on the line. This was an In Your House PPV, but they started to take the emphasis off that fact right around this time in 1999. This was also the time when Sunday Night Heat still mattered. Funny how things change in a decade or so. In a Dark Match the team of Too Cool beat the Hardy Boyz. That's kind of bizarre to imagine in this day and age. Viscera beat Test and Debra beat Ivory in the Sunday Night Heat matches. The first match of the PPV was Goldust vs. Bluedust.....you can imagine the shenanigans so I will move on. Bob Holly beat Al Snow in a Hardcore Title Match that ended outside of the arena. Quite humorous. Big Boss Man beat Mideon and NO ONE CARED! Owen Hart and Double J beat the team of D-Lo and Mizark in a Tag Title Match. I miss both of those teams. Forgot how awesome Owen and Double J were together. You come to appreciate the heels later in life I think. Val Venis lifted the IC belt from Ken Shamrock, with help from Bad Ass Billy Gunn, who was serving as special referee. Triple H and X-Pac of DX lost to Kane and Chyna of The Corporation. This one had to hurt Trips, as Chyna pinned him following a chokeslam from Kane. Since they may have been bumping uglies at the time it may be no big deal. Mankind and Rock had one of their classic matches, when they fought to a Draw in a Last Man Standing Match over the WWF Championship that Mankind was holding at the time. In the main event Stone Cold won the cage match with Vince, after some accidental help from Paul Wight, who would later become The Big Show. By accident I meant that Big Show popped out from under the ring to help Vince, but he tossed Stone Cold into the cage wall so hard that it swung open and Austin landed on the ground to get the escape. This was actually a very entertaining show for me. I was on the edge of my seat for the main event, and loved seeing McMahon take a beating. When Big Show popped up my heart sank, but when Austin won anyway I jumped for joy. It did what it needed to do, and it got me excited for what would happen next. I don't want to cover it too much in case you actually missed that one, but I give it 3 1/2 Stars out of 5.

1 comment:

  1. This was one of the few PPVs I got to order as a kid and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Very entertaining

    ReplyDelete